Thursday, March 31, 2016

Businessman Rocky De La Fuente took some time to speak with Wikinews about his campaign for the U.S. Democratic Party’s 2016 presidential nomination.

The 61-year-old De La Fuente resides in San Diego, California, grew up in Tijuana, and owns multiple businesses and properties throughout the world. Since getting his start in the automobile industry, De La Fuente has branched out into the banking and real estate markets. Despite not having held or sought political office previously, he has been involved in politics, serving as the first-ever Hispanic superdelegate to the 1992 Democratic National Convention.

De La Fuente entered the 2016 presidential race last October largely due to his dissatisfaction with Republican front-runner Donald Trump. He argues he is a more accomplished businessman than Trump, and attacks Trump as “a clown,” “a joke,” “dangerous,” and “in the same category as Hitler.” Nevertheless, De La Fuente’s business background begets comparisons with Trump. The Alaskan Midnight Sun blog described him as the Democrats’ “own Donald Trump.”

While receiving only minimal media coverage, he has campaigned actively, and according to the latest Federal Election Commission filing, loaned almost US$ 4 million of his own money to the campaign. He has qualified for 48 primary and caucus ballots, but has not yet obtained any delegates to the 2016 Democratic National Convention. Thus far, according to the count at The Green Papers, De La Fuente has received 35,406 votes, or 0.23% of the total votes cast. He leads among the many lesser-known candidates but trails both Senator Bernie Sanders who has received nearly 6.5 million votes and front-runner Hillary Clinton who has just shy of 9 million votes.

With Wikinews reporter William S. Saturn?, De La Fuente discusses his personal background, his positions on political issues, his current campaign for president, and his political future.

Contents

  • 1 Interview
    • 1.1 Background
    • 1.2 Campaign
    • 1.3 Issues
    • 1.4 Future
  • 2 Related news
  • 3 Sources
  • 4 External link
">
Gordon Brown says the UK won’t run out of gas

Sunday, January 10, 2010

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said on Saturday that the UK’s natural gas reserves will not run out in spite of record demand. This spike in demand is caused by the recent cold weather.File:Latenight-1.jpg

A supplier, National Grid, issued two “balancing alerts”, which mean a possible supply shortfall, which were promptly lifted. A spokeswoman for the company said that there was a possible shortfall of 35 million cubic metres (1.2 billion cubic feet). This third balancing alert is expected to last for the next few days, and is said not to be due to the cold weather – which is expected to continue for at least a week – but due to problems in Norwegian gas fields.

Another staple related to the cold snap, rock salt, is feared in short supply. The Automobile Association reports that supplies have been reduced by 250,000 tonnes over the last ten years. Local governments pledged to conserve supplies through a 25% reduction in the amount used; 12,000 tonnes of white salt have been redirected for use on roads.

Non-profits have asked that the allowance for gas money be temporarily raised for pensioners. The Red Cross reports that it is having the highest volume of aid being given out in nearly 30 years.

The cold snap has caused at least two further deaths, a 90-year-old woman who had frozen to death in her garden in Barnsley, and a 42-year-old who was found frozen in Newcastle, taking the total to 26.

Owner and manager of Moroccan factory arrested over 55-fatality fire

">
Owner and manager of Moroccan factory arrested over 55-fatality fire
Author: U5M4mh Posted under: Uncategorized

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Police have arrested the owner of a mattress factory in Hay Hassini, Casablanca, Morocco which burned down in a disaster that claimed 55 lives. His son, who was the factory’s manager, was also arrested.

Those killed — 35 of whom were women — were trapped inside by locked fire exits, which were barricaded to stop theft during working hours. “The people who died were either asphyxiated or burned,” commented a firefighter. 17 were wounded. Moustapha Taouil of the Casablanca civil protection service said the blaze was triggered by an inadequatly maintained electric saw on the ground floor. The initial fire quickly engulfed all four storeys of the building.

The Rosamor factory was clearly operating unsafely, officials said. “It’s a building with a ground floor and three upper floors specialising in making furniture, therefore there were highly inflammable products,” said Taouil. “We confirmed during our examination that the owners of the premises failed to respect legal requirements for this kind of industry including staff training… the owner in contravention of the law, locked staff inside the plant apparently to prevent theft of raw material. It was this that prevented them getting out. The fire was caused by lack of proper maintenance of certain machines and electrical installations.” He said a short circuit on the ground floor, which was filled with power saws, triggered the disaster.

As a result of the investigatons, “The plant’s owner, Adil Moufarreh, and his son Abdelali Moufarreh, who was the manager, have been taken into custody after having been questioned by police,” said an official.

28-year-old factory employee Fadila Khadija said “There was no emergency exit, the extinguishers were empty and the working conditions were difficult.” One source said that windows were also unusable as they were covered with iron bars. 20-year-old survivor Omar Elaaz said “I was working on the first floor as an upholsterer. The smoke came up from the ground floor where the foam rubber, wood and glue are stored. I used a gas bottle to break the wire mesh that protects every window.” 31-year-old upholsterer Hakim Hakki told of his own lucky escape and its effect on him from hospital: “I jumped from the third floor with four other colleagues while the women, who didn’t dare to follow us, perished in the inferno. God saved me but I’ll never forget those who died.”

The father of deceased 19-year-old Abdelazziz Darif said his son was paid 250 dirhams (20 euro/31 US dollars) per week and did not have social insurance.

Comment (0)

Calls for corporate tax reform in Australia goes unheeded

">
Calls for corporate tax reform in Australia goes unheeded
Author: U5M4mh Posted under: Uncategorized

Friday, May 12, 2006

Peter Costello’s budget announcement has led to rejoicing for small businesses, but the lack of joy for those pushing for radical corporate taxation reform has led to many businesses asking “what about us?”

Personal taxation and small business have been the big winners after this year’s federal budget. Although dampened by the twin economic threats of rising interest rates and petrol prices, there should be a reasonable amount of real income savings for both low and high income earners, with those receiving Medicare, or a superannuation benefit, privy to an even lower level of taxation (0% for those on super benefits).

Small business also has benefited from the Howard government’s 11th annual budget, with them receiving a higher level of reducing depreciation, leading to a higher level of deductions in the years following the uptake of new technology or other capital. They are also privy to a AU$435 million dollar tax cut to compensate for their changing accounting requirements under the government’s new AIFRS reporting standards, as well as increasing the uptake of both the small business tax relief scheme and CGT (Capital Gains tax) Concessions.

The budget was not a complete loss for big business however, as superannuation laws have been tweaked to streamline contribution and payment rules previously impeding those with multitudes of staff.

But this is not enough, says Big 4 accounting firm Ernst & Young. In their newly published paper “Taxation of Investment in Australia: the need for ongoing reform”. In it they lead the charge for a greater streamlining and organization of the corporate tax system in Australia, submitting that it will lead to reductions in “disincentives to work save and invest in Australia [as well as improving] the international competitiveness of Australian businesses.” This follows from a recent report brought out by Mr. Costello himself about the need for tax reform in Australia.

A budget night Mr. Costello was notably coy about any future reform of corporate tax in Australia. He alluded to the report by his ministers but kept from outlining the government’s plan precisely.

Comment (0)

William Salice, creator of Kinder Surprise eggs, dies at 83

">
William Salice, creator of Kinder Surprise eggs, dies at 83
Author: U5M4mh Posted under: Uncategorized

Sunday, January 1, 2017

On Thursday, William Salice, credited with creating Kinder Surprise eggs, died at age 83 in Pavia, Italy because of a stroke, according to his foundation “Color Your Life Campus”. Salice had worked with the businessman Michele Ferrero in the 1960s, the creator of the Nutella cream and owner of Ferrero Rocher. Ferrero died in 2015.

In 1974, Kinder Surprise was launched with plastic toys, which are sold within the eggs to surprise children. Due to this, the sale of Kinder eggs is prohibited in the US. A 1938 US law prohibits the sale of food containing objects in its interior. It is also prohibited in Chile, due to an obesity-reduction law brought in last year. Last year a three-year-old girl died in France, swallowing the plastic toy.

In 2007, after his retirement, Salice founded Color Your Life Campus from his retirement bonus of €400,000 in Italy. It aims to help young people between the ages of thirteen and eighteen discover and develop their own talents. Salice’s career spanned 46 years.

Since 2013, the Kinder Surprise Company has been taking care of continuing the manufacture and processing of chocolate eggs. According to the company, the chocolate egg has 32% milk and 15% cocoa in its composition.

Comment (0)

Category:IBM

">
Category:IBM
Author: U5M4mh Posted under: Uncategorized

This is the category for IBM, a multinational computer technology and IT consulting corporation.

Refresh this list to see the latest articles.

  • 7 July 2012: WorldPride London 2012: In pictures
  • 19 June 2009: Canada’s supercomputer goes online
  • 10 June 2008: US energy department reveals world’s fastest computer
  • 24 February 2008: IBM to construct supercomputer capable of running entire Internet
  • 9 March 2007: IBM and Cisco in attempt to create a universal platform for communications software development
  • 12 February 2007: IBM to launch software that works on Linux, Windows and Macintosh
  • 4 October 2006: Wikinews Shorts: October 4, 2006
  • 6 June 2006: India to get $6 billion out of the Big Blue
  • 12 November 2005: IBM partners with Google to produce a corporate desktop search program
  • 20 September 2005: Stolen laptop found; had over 98,000 students’ personal data
?Category:IBM

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write.



Sister projects
  • Commons
  • Wikipedia

Pages in category “IBM”

Comment (0)

Obama to suspend Arctic oil drilling

">
Obama to suspend Arctic oil drilling
Author: U5M4mh Posted under: Uncategorized

Thursday, May 27, 2010

According to Democratic Senator Mark Begich from Alaska, the U.S. Department of the Interior has decided to halt all new Arctic exploratory oil drilling applications until 2011. The response is believed to be caused in part by the two current oil spill disasters (that of the Deepwater Horizon Incident and more recently the Alaska oil pipeline malfunction). However, Begich is not happy about the actions taken by the White House.

“I am frustrated that this decision by the Obama administration to halt offshore development for a year will cause more delays and higher costs for domestic oil and gas production to meet the nation’s energy needs,” Begich claims.

Last September, the state of Alaska made a public notice about Shell’s desire to drill off the coast of the Beaufort Sea, placing experimental drilling rigs at two drill site location: “Torpedo” and “Sivulliq”.

“Shell is committed to undertaking a safe and environmentally responsible exploration program in the Chukchi Sea and Beaufort Sea in 2010,” said Shell Oil Company President Marvin E. Odum to the U.S. Department of the Interior’s Mineral Management Service (MMS).

Odum follows with, “I am confident that we are ready to conduct the 2010 Arctic exploratory program safely and, I want to be clear, the accountability for this program rests with Shell.”

Chuck Clausen, director of the Alaska project at the National Resources Defense Council is not so optimistic: “Hazards present in the Arctic can include frigid temperatures, presence of sea ice, gale-force winds, intense storms and heavy fog … The potential for loss in the Arctic is great.”

Odum believes that the climate in the arctic will make any spill easier to clean up because, “Arctic conditions create differences in responding to oil in cold and ice conditions. Differences in evaporation rates, viscosity and weathering provide greater opportunities to recover oil. In Arctic conditions, ice can aid oil spill response by slowing oil weathering, dampening waves, preventing oil from spreading over large distances, and allowing more time to respond.”

However, Clausen believes that there are no current systems to remove oil from icy ocean waters.

This is not the first time that President Obama’s administration has taken the environmentally cautious path in Alaska. The President put Bristol Bay off limits to oil and gas exploration until 2017. Bristol Bay currently is one of the top salmon fishing grounds in the state.

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar is expected to give a speech at Thursday’s White House address, regarding the suspension of Arctic oil drilling projects.

Comment (0)

Wikinews Shorts: May 5, 2012

">
Wikinews Shorts: May 5, 2012
Author: U5M4mh Posted under: Uncategorized

A compilation of brief news reports for Saturday, May 5, 2012.

Contents

  • 1 Dozens dead in the wake of Nigerian market attack
  • 2 Munch’s The Scream sales for US$120 million in auction; sets record
  • 3 Saturn V moon rocket damaged by bullets
 Contribute to Wikinews by expanding these briefs or add a new one.

A cattle market in the Nigerian city of Potiskum was attacked by gunmen Wednesday evening, according to an unnamed government official. The official said the attack occurred after would-be robber was subdued by market traders who then set him on fire.

Allies of the burned man retaliated by throwing grenades and shooting randomly into the crowd, the official said. The exact death toll is uncertain but is reported by various groups as being between 30 and 60. The anonymous official — who said he was not authorized to speak with journalists — said the gunmen used a strategy that mirrored those of the militant Islamist group Boko Haram.

Sources


One of the most recognized paintings in the world, The Scream, sold for US$120 million at auction at Sotheby’s in New York City on Wednesday, making it the most expensive piece of art in the world.

The iconic painting was projected by experts to sell at auction for US$80 million, but an unknown buyer purchased the painting at US$119,922,500. Before the auction, Picasso’s Nude, Green Leaves, and Bust was the most expensive artwork sold after it went for US$106.5 million two years ago at auction.

Sources


The Saturn V on display at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center was damaged by gunfire on Thursday. Nobody was injured. The shooter was suspected to be driving on Interstate 565.

Sources


Comment (0)

Four killed, dozens injured in Jerusalem attack on bus

">
Four killed, dozens injured in Jerusalem attack on bus
Author: U5M4mh Posted under: Uncategorized

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A Palestinian from Jerusalem today killed three and injured dozens by driving a front-end loader into a passenger bus. The incident occurred today at noon local time.

The father of the attacker told press that he did not know of his son’s plans. “My son never spoke of plans to carry out such an attack, if he had I would have tried to prevent it,” he told The Media Line before he was questioned by police.

Local police have stated that the incident was an act of terrorism. “There is no doubt at all that this was a terrorist attack,” said a police spokesperson, speaking to media on the scene of the attack.

Jabr Duwait, the perpetrator of the attack was shot and killed on site by local police in the minutes after the officials arrived on the scene.

The incident occurred on Jaffa Road, which is one of the longest roads in Jerusalem.

Comment (0)

Australians missing out on full sports coverage, media outlets say

">
Australians missing out on full sports coverage, media outlets say
Author: U5M4mh Posted under: Uncategorized

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Major media outlets have told an Australian senate committee on environment, communications and the arts that Australians are being denied full coverage of sporting events.

They have told the inquiry that major sporting organisations are restricting how photos and text can be used on the internet and other digital media, which is threatening the reporting of sport as news.

Sporting organisations have hit back saying that such online content is a big money earner for them. They say that the money earned from those rights gets invested in grassroots programs.

Australian Associated Press asked the committee to recommend legislation guaranteeing the right of news media cover major sporting events.

“AAP reporting and photography are the lifeblood of news for regional and rural newspapers across the country,” Fairfax Media, publisher of The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and a number of regional papers, said in its submission. “Millions of Australians are being prevented from receiving full AAP coverage of major sporting events. When photographs of sport events are privatised, all forms of journalism are vulnerable to such restrictions.”

“AAP believes that the most effective way to protect the public interest in receiving news about sporting and related events is to have a legislated provision for right of access for news media,” AAP’s submission says.

The Australian Football League, in its submission, also argued for legislative amendments, but to the Copyright Act. Their recommendations would see the use of audio-visual, photographic and audio media restricted in the digital domain.

“To avoid protracted disputes with media organisations and to ensure a minimum standard of protection across digital sports news reporting in Australia, AFL believes that the best means of introducing these restrictions is by way of amendments to the Copyright Act or a mandatory industry code,” the AFL’s submission said.

Wikinews asked the AFL, Football Federation Australia and the Sunshine Coast Daily for comment. The AFL refused to comment until after their submission was formally made to the committee.

Comment (0)